Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Writing for the Web

In chapter 8, Writing for the Web, the authors reiterate how important it is to write for your audience and to be aware of spelling and grammar in your content.

One of the things that stood out to me while I was reading was the section on why users scan. Whether I am doing research for school or work, I feel that there is not enough time in the day to find everything that I need. Scanning is the perfect option for me. It helps you decipher between what's a good article and what's something that isn't exactly what you need. "Scanning is an efficient method to hone in on useful content. It takes less cognitive effort, so users can focus attention on fruitful areas" (Nielson, Loranger pg 259).

4 comments:

drumdiva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
drumdiva said...

Scanning has always been an option to some extent, but now I think it's more of a necessity with the incredible amount of information available to us online and through other sources. There was a time when we could just go to the library and scan the shelves for the book we wanted, or take an encyclopedia volume off the shelf and scan through it to find a particular article, but this approach is just not practical when we're trying to navigate the sea of information online. I think scanning is a good example of how human behavior evolves over time - we learn to take what we want and leave the rest. If we didn't scan, we'd grow old and die in front of our computers! :)

Unknown said...

I love scanning. It makes my life easier when understanding and comprehending articles.

RDMillner said...

But if theres not enough time to read everything, wouldn't internet shorthand facilitate getting the information?