Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Scale of....Misery!!!

Dun Dun Dun I tried to find a wheel of torture picture to post...but none were really appropriate.

Was anyone else surprised that "Sound" was given such a low percentage on the "scale of misery," which rates how web design mistakes weigh on users?

When it comes to web design, are we only concerned with the aesthetics?

I feel that every time our class has a discussion about flaws in web design someone laments about how when they find the automatic sports broadcast when they log onto ESPN.com to be an annoyance.

Once site that came to mind that is rather obnoxious, but the layout is nice is Room960. There is really loud house music when you log on, but makes sense since it is a web site for a trendy lounge that specializes in bringing renound DJ's to Hartford. There is even an option to the left to change the song, which is really interesting given the context of this site. Just don't open accidently at work!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was very surprized about this because I did not realize how in the talk about webdesign how people/users get annoyed by it. What is your opinion?

Jennifer X Williams said...

Depends on the day : D

irregularmut said...

Ok, try this for annoying...:)
http://www.neave.com/imagination/

drumdiva said...

I always turn the music off on websites - I find it extremely annoying in general. I like to be able to choose to play a media file - for example, my favorite new singer is releasing a new CD, and there is a separate media section with a sample of each track. If I don't want to listen, I don't have to. I think good design is about giving users a choice of what they want, and a feeling of being in control of what's happening.

Corey said...

I think music on a site can be very annoying and distracting. Most of the time when I on the internet I am already listening to music, the radio or the television so I don't need more noise to cloud the picture. This is especially true if you are visiting a new site and trying to figure out the features and the content of the site. The last thing you need is unwatned music to distract your focus.