Sunday, September 23, 2007

Netflix vs. Blockbuster

While I continuously browse the Netflix site every day, I'm surprised I didn't think to write about it sooner. There are a ton of great things to say regarding the service (it's quite amazing, by the way), but even more to say about its website. The functionality and ease of usability are amazing. It really is quite idiot-proof to find movies, actors, directors, and more with just a search or a scan. If you add a movie to your queue, they immediately recommend other movies based on your added movie and past ratings. The site never gets confusing and users are never stuck thinking about what to do next. Even the account management side is flawless, making it very easy to change your information, either billing or shipping, so that you can continue searching for more quality DVDs to add to your queue!

After about a year of service with Netflix, I wanted to test out Blockbuster's alternative, Blockbuster Online, so I can see what it was like and compare. I quickly found out that I was quite turned off from the service, not because of the rate of shipping speed or the In-store policies attached (which weren't bad), but because of the website itself. The display of movies was shoddy; the movie information was never easy to read and was quite text-y. There was more black and white than I would've liked, and not enough flash or animation to make it engaging. Even the search function was very "click and load", as the pages didn't seem to change much. Rather, movies simply came up in lists.

One of the main reasons I enjoy the Netflix site is because I can literally get lost in it for 30 minutes at a time. Sometimes, I head over just to bump a movie to the top spot of my queue, but get caught up looking at recommendations, rating other films, or getting lost while I'm clicking away. I find their site not only aesthetically pleasing, but fun to use as well. Blockbuster's site was lacking majorly, and was one of the main reasons I switched back over to Netflix.

This remains a prime example of how one company's website could affect and deter customers and their decision-making. Netflix really won me over in both its service and design, and I know I'll continue being a customer for many years to come. I highly recommend checking it out if you havn't already!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would totally agree. Just by seeing the ads for these products makes me want to try out Netflix more than Blockbuster.

Unknown said...

I have been a blockbuster online subscriber for a while but not because the site is better in fact I really dont like it...but it was more the instore rentals...I have tried netflix and love the interface and overall feel of the site...I am leaving blockbuster since they are changing their in-store rental prices...and ill be back with netflix soon...all things being equal the netflix page is better and easier to use