Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Attractive Things Work Better, Part 2

After reading Don Norman's article and chapter 3 in the Nielsen book, I started thinking about all of the factors that come into play while designing a good website. Norman says that attractive things are easier to use, and Nielsen says that designers are better off keeping it simple and sticking to certain "tried and true" conventions. Here's a great example of a site that manages to be both attractive (especially for kids) and easy to navigate:

PBS Kids

It's very simple, easy to use and sticks to all of the conventions that Nielsen recommends (pictures as links, links that are blue and underlined, etc. etc.). My five year old nephew loves this site, and I can see why. He can navigate it like a pro on his own without having to be able to actually read the links (the pictures link to the same place as the blue underlined links beneath them). The site's got a lot of Flash on it because of all the games, and I know Nielsen doesn't particularly like Flash, but that's the whole point on a site like this. It's for kids (although last time I saw my nephew, he got me hooked on building aliens. Go to the Arthur page, click on "Games" and try it out!)!

No comments: