Thursday, November 1, 2007

Too much multimedia = bad

I wish I could've come up with a snazzier title, but honestly, after reading Neilsen's sometimes simplistic, and sometimes repetitive work, that's all the creativity I can put forth.

It makes sense. Too much video/multimedia/sound/flash can be annoying. Over-doing a website, and having it muddled with flashing objects or blaring video can turn users away. I also understand him when he says that some users don't have machines that are hi-tech enough to handle running that level of multimedia. Yes, it makes sense. After the 2nd page.

I think that's the main problem I have with Neilsen. Sometimes I get it after page 5, yet continue to read through entire chapters only to re-read the same thing or have him hammer the same point over and over again. I don't feel this way about all his chapters, though. There have been some that I've found very informative and effective; however, when I do get to some of the chapters that seemingly have little to say, I just get frustrated that they are so long and provide so many examples when really the point is simple: too much multimedia = bad.

4 comments:

RDMillner said...

I agree with you completely. From the argument that "content is king" the idea that he spends most of every chapter repeating himself kind of makes me laugh.

Unknown said...

HAHA content is king...take ICM 508. I think that Neilsen does his job at explaining things well but the fact of giving examples in certain chapters where it needs to be is lacking a lot.

Trevor B said...

This book does give a ton of examples, but I when I start feeling like I'm reading the same thing over and over again, I scan and focus on a few examples that I can relate to, which seems to work for me.

Paul Fleck said...

agreed as well...I think I have read two pages in their entirety in the whole book. I feel like the book was made for scanning. Many times if you just look at the pics you can understand what he is getting at without being put to sleep by the words. I guess he is just not into the whole brevity thing.