Thursday, September 25, 2008

Watch where you step on that sidewalk!

Through e-mails that have been sent to me and watching a special on NatGeo, I have been amazed by artist Julian Beever. In class, since we've recently been exploring the use of depth and perspective combined with emotion, Julian's art is a prime example of this.
With just the use of chalk, he creates insane illusions on sidewalks all over the world. He travels to cities around the globe spending hours upon hours creating illusions that attract crowds of people walking by. Check out these images that will have you asking "how did he do that?"
My personal favorite is "Arctic Condition" seen here as the first image in this video displaying his mind boggling works of art. He not only limits himself to 3-D illusions but also does sketches of famous people and recreations of Picasso. I wouldn't even try and guess how to go about re-creating these images in photoshop!

2 comments:

Kje48 said...

I read an article about this guy a few months ago, his work is amazing!!! I would be that person trying to step around the "hole" in the sidewalk.. haha... good post!

EPerkins said...

I definitely had to look at this picture for a minute to realize what was going on. The artist sense of depth is incredible. I also think the colors he used helps add depth and animation to the artwork. I think I would be scared to walk over that for fear I may fall in. The scene also reminds me of Mary Poppins-when Burt draws all the pictures and the kids decided they want to go to the country side and they all jump in the picture.