Monday, September 15, 2008

3-D images

It's always fun playing with the magic eye books and its website. When we crossed our eyes and blatantly stared at the images for a couple minutes, I forgot how much fun they really were. I would love to see a special on the planning, design and actual production behind these crazy works of art. Or maybe they don't want to reveal the secret, sort of like Colonel Sanders' fried chicken recipe.

Is there an article or maybe a segment on Discovery channels' "How It's Made" that shows the behind the scenes with these works of art? Working with Photoshop, I can't imagine how many layers go into one of these drawings. My mind would probably explode based on my first experience re-creating Kandinsky's work of art. I find the whole notion of illusions and different perspectives on how we look at shapes to be really amazing.

2 comments:

EPerkins said...

I just wanted to comment that Magic Eyes bother me so much-because I can never get it! I've tried crossing my eyes, holding it upside down and just plain staring and still nothing. I don't know what the secret is and if you do please share. I think one of those specials (i.e. How Its Made) would be great. Maybe I could learn something. I remember when Magic Eyes were all the rage in fourth and fifth grade. Our local paper used to have one every Sunday and my dad could see it in minutes; but not me. What is the secret?

Carol said...

Magic Eyes make me nauseous. I really think it's related to how I view the world, and is similar to the sensation I get when I'm a passenger in a moving vehicle - motion sickness.

However, I do not get this sensation when I'm driving. If I drive, I am concentrating on that task at hand, and not staring at things passing me by (those I normally see on on the periphery and only long enough to make certain they aren't a danger to me).

My eyes playing tricks on my stomach, I guess.