Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Joy of Magic Eye

I had taken for granted that not everyone can experience the joy that is the "magic eye" experience. While we were in class, looking at websites, I heard a few people venting frustration over not being able to see the images "pop". Like beauty, these optical illusions are in the eye of the beholder just as much as they are in the mind. Perhaps that is part of the appeal to optical illusions - that not everyone can see them. Perhaps the rarity makes them fun.
Well, the rarity, and the painful squinting, and the overwhelming satisfaction when the squinting pays off.

1 comment:

Jon Richichi said...

Hahahaha, the squinting does pay off. It brings back bad memories of when I was little and these books came out and all of my friends saw the images in less than 10 seconds while I stood there forever like the guy in the movie Mallrats. No one ever told me as young kid that I had to blur my eyes in order for the image to stand out! I find it so fascinating that man can create these images to trick our own eyes. We really have come a long way.