Thursday, September 11, 2008

The New Facebook

Since I heard some of you talking about your Facebook infactuation last class-I thought I would pose the question: What do we all think of the 'new' Facebook Zuckerburg and gang are preview on the top of the homepage? I too am Facebook-aholic if you will. 
I think this relates to our reading "The Role of Aesthetics in Web Design." I am not a fan nor are many of my friends because the 'new' page seems far less organized than the older version. From a designer standpoint does the newer Facebook interface improve or complicate the usability? Think about the visual and interactive effects? Will it catch on...I think it will since many of us will just learn to deal because we can't go a day without checking for 'notifications.'
I just thought I would throw this example out here because we are learning to be designers but we are already users.

2 comments:

Jon Richichi said...

I too am a facebook-aholic even though my older sister constantly reminds me that only high school kids should do it. I joined it to get in contact with former high school friends so that we could plan our 10 year high school reunion this fall. I've found I've done everything but that.

I think Facebook and it's new design has a much more open look to it than the previous version. It's more organized with applications on the right and news feeds/status updates/etc. on the left. Everything is there for you to see on the main screen.

It runs a little more slower for me since it's changed it's visual setup but probably because it's still in its early stages. I liked the fact that they kept their infamous blue bar trademark up and many of their other fonts and icons that were also kept.

Good job facebook! This new design makes me now more eager to check it every 5 minutes for status updates on my friends!!

markcotrupe said...

I went back to the old one for as long as I can. I don't like the new one at all. I think it complicated something that was simple and functional.