Thursday, September 18, 2008

Alexander Calder @ Whitney

I dated an art major in college. When I told him of my lack of interest in art, he tried to convince me that anyone can develop their art talents, even minimally. I countered that I couldn't even draw a stick figure of a human correctly. I drew a human stick figure.

Much to his disbelief, he knew I was right - I'm not exactly Picasso. Not even close!

I do, however, appreciate great art. I'm a fan of Van Gogh and Monet, Warhol & Dali, but only know the greatest hits. My husband got me into Escher. We even have some posters (not orginal) in our home.

I particularly love Alexander Calder. Blame Antiques Roadshow. Someone had this little tiny mobile by Calder and it was worth a fortune.

Walking through LA about four years ago, I spotted nearly the same mobile - on steriods. It was HUGE! I dragged my husband and kids over yelling, "That's a Calder, isn't it? I really think it's a Calder." My family thought I was nuts, but my husband was impressed.

I have since spotted two other Calders in DC and NY, and my kids have grown used to my latest obession. Don't ask me explain why I like his work - I just do.

Just this week, my boss got an invite to a new exhibition at the Whitney Museum of Art in NYC.

You guessed it - CALDER!

Just another excuse to get to New York.

No comments: