Friday, October 23, 2009

Looking at the World Differently

My Visual Aesthetics class has made me look at the world in a new light. For example, the other day my brother was wearing light blue jeans and a navy blue shirt that had other blue colors striped in it. So, when I saw him I said, “Nice monochromatic color scheme.” He had no idea what I was talking about.

Additionally, I’ve found myself becoming more and more critical of the visual aesthetics of websites. Having to evaluate websites for class had made me more aware of the behind-the-scenes of the website development. For example, I evaluated ESPN.com, SI.com and NESN.com in my paper last week. Originally, I would have looked at the websites and formed judgments without reason. Now, I can look at them and criticize them or praise them on the basis of color schemes, use of the rule of thirds, white space, etc. It certainly is nice to have knowledge to back up a critique.

No comments: