Friday, October 30, 2009

first exposures to typography in childhood

Thinking about the fascinating world of typography I was reminded of a distinct childhood memory. I don’t remember exactly what age I become enthralled with Shel Silverstein’s “Where the Sidewalk Ends,” but it is a book I doubt I will ever forget. For those of you who lack this wonderful childhood memory and don’t know what I am talking about, “Where the Sidewalk Ends” is a book consisting of a collection of children’s poetry. The poems are matched with illustrations all by Shel Silverstein and make great use of the art of typography. The way the book connects illustrations with the written poetry can not only feed the wide imagination of the children who read it, but also serves as a great typography tool for learning and discovery.

I also discovered an interesting list of the 40 examples of beautiful typography in advertising design. While these ads are very well designed and fully utilize the art of topography it is also interesting to see how well typography in advertising can be a vivid form of subliminal messaging…

No comments: