Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Keep it Simple...

While working on our current project, I was reminded about one of the cardinal rules of web design, which is to keep it simple. I originally included alot of information and pictures (it's a photo website), but decided it was looking visually complicated and messy. It didn't flow well. So I began the clean-up, elimination process, which ended up looking simple and straighforward. My homepage only has elements it needs to find further information on the site. The area I cleaned up the most was text. I had included far too much information. It's one of those areas where you write what you want, then get rid of half of it, then get rid of half again. After I whittled it down, it was much more readable and interesting. I know I'm picky and critical about websites I use, so it's helpful to look at my own site as if I was going afresh to someone else's. I definitely don't like reading alot of text online. It's better as a visual medium. 
I am listing my personal, communications blog which I hope people will find interesting, and/or useful.

No comments: