Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Letters

I was in Barnes in Noble tonight looking for books on Braille to get myself acqianted on learning it so I can understand the process as someday my niece will be learning it. However, they didn't have any books on it. I continued to browse around and came across a book about post cards. That gave me a thought to bring to the table here. How many of us still write letters and postcards?

My two good friends from back home still write me letters - it's nice to get a picture in the mail and something handwritten. I try to send pictures and letters to my niece and nephew once a month - the last one I sent was a Halloween card along with the family picture that I did for class - granted the family wasn't too happy with it, my nephew (who will be 5 this month) thought it was the funniest thing ever. My brother said he laughed so hard that he almost wet his pants. I'm glad someone thought it was funny.

So even though we are slowing turning away from letter writing, there are still ways that we can incorporate our own visual aesthetics with it. (I made a few other pictures for the nephew for his birthday).

In fact - for my Christmas letter last year (and I will be doing the same this year) - I went month by month and put a picture of what I did that month along with my paragraph about what happened. The family back home loved it as they were able to see my story.

2 comments:

Steve S. said...

Sadly, writing letters has become a lost art. I've heard of schools pretty much abandoning the practice of handwriting (a horrific idea) due to the fact that most words are typed these days.

I, too, last year sent wrote my family long, individual letters and then presented them in person. My only visual aesthetic was the bright yellow of a legal pad going against the black of my pen.

I think the bottom line is that handwritten letters will always be able to convey a stronger emotion than their digital counterparts. If you really want to make an impression, write it the old-fashioned way.

Twunked said...

I think Braille materials are becoming harder and harder to find, simply because of the availability of text-to-speech technology. This article says it's being taught less, too.