Friday, September 25, 2009

A day in New York

Two weeks ago, I went to New York in order to receive a cargo shipment coming from Canada. I woke up early in the morning. I took my shower and I was set to go. I set up my GPS to get the required directions to LaGuardia airport. Well, the GPS asked me if I want to avoid toll roads, and I didn’t know the meaning of it.Therefore, I chose "yes" to the phrase "avoid toll roads".

I turned my car on and I drove to New York. After two hours of driving, which was very strange, because I went to NY before and it took me one hour and fifteen minutes only to get there, I was very close to reach my destination and began to experience the "worst three hours in my life" part. Apparently, the GPS kept avoiding toll roads and drove me through downtown of New York. Suddenly, in the middle of downtown, the GPS was going creasy and was telling me to go in a cycles in the middle of the downtown. New York downtown was really full of people and traffic and it was the first time for me to drive in a crowded city, such as NY.

I was really terrified and I couldn't get out from there. After three hours of driving in NY downtown without any hope to get out of it, the police caught me crossing traffic light. I got 150$ fine. I was terrified and I asked the police officer of how to get out of this area and he told that going to LaGuardia airport is too hard to describe and I have to get a taxi and follow him. I did exactly what the police officer told me and I got to the airport. I told myself, never come to New York by a car and never choose "avoid toll roads" again.

1 comment:

Sarah Denn said...

I am laughing out loud right now. I am in your shoes living out here as I am a MN native and find the road system hard to follow.