Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Award-winning website - Sikorsky.com

I have been working at Sikorsky Aircraft, a helicopter manufacturer based in Stratford CT, since I graduated from QU in Spring 2008 with a degree in English (I had been interning previously).

Although I work for Marketing and Sales at Sikorsky, my desk is conviently located in the Multi-Media Services department, and I actually sit right next to the individual who recently oversaw a complete and total re-haul of our company's website - Sikorsky.com

The previous website was very outdated from a visual design perspective and did not get across the incredible diversity of the products we produce. There was no flash utilized (not that there needs to be to have a good website...or anything...) and the page formatting was very inconsistant (our company logo was all over the place, and on some pages not present at all).

There was also little interaction to be made with the person viewing the site, which is an especially important aspect to have in our business (helicopters should be exciting!)

This new website, which launched in 2008, does a stellar job, in my opinion, of incorporating elements of flash, video, text and sound without being too overbearing and also engaging the customer/viewer immediately by letting them easily select and discover more about whatever particular helicopter model interests them.

Sikorsky.com has won numerous industry awards and has set a benchmark for our competitors to achieve (Eurocopter, Bell, Agusta Westland).

I would love to get some feedback from whoever reads this, which I can then bring to the attention of the site's designer that I sit next to and give him some unbiased feedback.

Thanks!

No comments: