Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nightmare is a Nightmare

I think one of the best examples to define aesthetics is Tim Burton's vision. His designs in his work are so very specific to his sense of style that its easy to pick out threads of distinction in his work. When I saw a preview for Sweeny Todd with Johnny Depp, I didn't need anyone to tell me this was a Tim Burton piece.
This is both good and bad I think. One one hand, its good to stand out. People know who you are and know your work when they see it. Then again, sticking to one style sometimes feels old and restricted. With the Tim Burton example, if you don't like his aesthetic, you won't be drawn to view his work.
So on one hand, is it better to stand out and be distinctive? Or is it better to broad and expand your designs?

1 comment:

Jon Richichi said...

Yeah that's why his work hasn't been as successful as it was in the 1990's. It has been good that Burton has mixed it up with total animation movies like Nightmare Before Christmas and then live actor movie like Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow. He has definitely left his mark as a pioneer for unusual aesthetic style I have to say!!